The Canada Energy Regulator (CER) regulates the Trans Mountain Expansion Project. The CER, an independent federal agency, regulates the construction and operation of interprovincial and international oil and gas pipelines. We have undertaken an extensive regulatory process with the CER in order to receive approval to proceed with twinning the existing Trans Mountain Pipeline.

In addition to the CER, there are a number of federal, provincial and municipal government agencies that have regulatory authority over certain aspects of the Project. 

Examples of the types of permits required under these agencies include: 

Federal Permits: 

Environment and Climate Change Canada -  Under the Species at Risk Act (SARA), a permit is required for activities on federal lands where SARA listed species are present. 

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) -  Under the Fisheries Act, an authorization is required for any in-water works that impact fish and fish habitat. 

Transport Canada -  Under the Aeronautics Act and the Airport Zoning Regulation, an Aeronautical Assessment Form is required for all cranes or aerial structures that are near airports. 

Nav Canada - Nav Canada must assess and approve all proposals to use cranes near an airport or air navigation infrastructure.

Vancouver Fraser Port Authority (VFPA) - Westridge Marine Terminal is partially located on Federal lands under the authority of the VFPA. A Project Permit is required from VFPA for the redevelopment of the Westridge Marine Terminal. 

Parks Canada -  A Development Permit and Special Activity Permits are required from Parks Canada in order to conduct reactivation work in the Jasper National Park. 

British Columbia Provincial Permits

Oil and Gas Commission (OGC) - The OGC is an independent provincial regulatory agency with responsibilities for provincial regulation of oil and gas activities under the Oil and Gas Activities Act. The OGC issues permits for construction on Crown land. Under the Forest Act, permits are issued for timber harvest. Under the Land Act, permits are issued for roads; quarries; and temporary occupation such as camps, access, and workspaces. Under the Water Sustainability Act, permits are issued for short-term use of water, and changes in and about a stream.

Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure (MOTI) – MOTI makes decisions on access to, works on, or improvements within provincial highway rights of way, including pipeline crossings. MOTI also makes decisions on structures within 4.5 metres of the provincial highway right of way. Under the Transportation Act and the Industrial Roads Act, MOTI issues permits for highway access, as well as constructing across and within a highway right of way. 

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development (FLNRO) - FLNRO makes decisions on Crown land resources and activities that are not within the legislative or regulatory framework of OGC. Under the Wildlife Act permits are issued for fish and wildlife salvage and temporary closures to hunting, trapping and guide outfitting. Under the Heritage Conservation Act, permits are issued for heritage resource inspection and alteration. Under the Forest and Range Practices Act, permits are issued for construction near and across Forest Service Roads. Under the Dike Management Act, permits are issued for dike maintenance.

Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy (ENV) – Under the Environmental Management Act, permits are issued for waste discharge to the environment by a prescribed industry. Under the Park Act, park use permits are required for any occupancy of land in a park, and a resource use permit is issued for any occupancy of land in a recreation area. Park use permits are also issued for any occupancy of land in a protected area established under the Environment and Land Use Act.

Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) – Under the Agricultural Land Commission Act, approvals are issued for development within the designated Agricultural Land Reserve area.

Alberta Provincial Permits

Alberta Environment & Parks (AEP) – Under the Public Lands Administration Regulation, permits are required for use of crown land. 

Alberta Transportation (AT) - Permits are required from Alberta Transportation for development within 300m of a provincial highway right of way. 

Alberta Infrastructure TUC (AI) - Permits are required from Alberta Infrastructure for construction within the Transportation Utility Corridor

Municipal Permits

Each of the municipalities that the Project crosses have bylaws that require permits for certain aspects of the Project. These bylaws vary by municipality and generally require the Project to obtain building related permits and permits incidental to construction and excavation activities.

Permitting Status

The following table provides updated information regarding our Project-related permits and status. The following table was updated on August 15, 2020.

Permitting Status Table (Download PDF)

As we move forward with the Expansion Project, we will continue our ongoing process of seeking and obtaining necessary permits with federal, provincial and municipal permitting authorities. 

The list of permits or other authorizations referenced on this website is subject to change as we move forward with the Trans Mountain Expansion Project and continue working with federal, provincial and municipal permitting authorities to understand the applicability of legislation, bylaws and standards related to the construction and operation of the Project.