Before you start digging or building, it’s important to know who to call, what permits you might need and what to do if something goes wrong. Our shared priorities are always: protection of people, property, and the environment.

Simple Steps to Protect the Pipeline

  • Always call before you dig
  • Know where pipelines are located near your home or business
  • If you are unsure whether your activity could compromise the pipeline, call Trans Mountain
  • Know, understand, and follow the pipeline right-of-way guidelines
  • Report unusual or suspicious activities or unauthorized excavating on the right-of-way by calling Trans Mountain’s Emergency Notification Line: 1.888.876.6711

For more information, download our Pipelines in Your Community brochure.

Click or Call Before You Dig

Before you begin any ground disturbance work, contact your local One Call centre. If your proposed work is near our pipeline right-of-way, a Trans Mountain representative will call you back within three business days to discuss your proposed work and, if required, meet with you on site to determine the exact location of the pipeline. This service is typically provided at no cost to you.


BC One Call:

1.800.474.6886 or cell *6886


Alberta One-Call:



Tap the app:

Dig Info AB



In the United States:


One Call centres are central agencies that identify buried facilities. Once you give them the details of your planned ground disturbance activity, they will contact their member companies to let them know of your intention to dig. If your activity is near our pipelines, we’ll call you back within three business days to get more details. If necessary, we’ll send an inspector to visit your site and mark the pipeline so you know where to work safely.


Any ground disturbance activity within 30 metres (100 feet) of our pipeline right-of-way requires written permission from Trans Mountain in the form of a 30 Metre Permit. Activities that require a permit include, but are not limited to:

  • Road construction
  • Vehicle and equipment crossings
  • Driving objects into the ground and/or excavation
  • Installing irrigation systems and ditching
  • Landscaping
  • Drilling, digging, compacting, stockpiling materials, or using any equipment causing ground vibration

A Proximity Permit will be required for installing anything of permanent nature within the pipeline right-of-way including, but not limited to:

  • Roads, driveways, trails, ditches
  • Fences or signs
  • Poles or anchors

To apply for a Trans Mountain Proximity Permit, download the Pipeline/Right-of-Way Proximity Permit Application form. For more information on the installation of facilities in proximity to Trans Mountain’s pipelines and facilities, download a Trans Mountain Permit Application Guidelines brochure. 

For heavy equipment and vehicle crossings outside of public roads, complete the Vehicle Information Requirements Form. For more information, download a Trans Mountain Vehicle and Equipment Crossing Guidelines brochure.

Ground Disturbers

Damage to pipelines often occurs through direct contact with the pipe during excavation or other ground disturbance activities. If you are a ground disturber: an excavator, contractor, or landscaper – then you are an important partner in pipeline safety.

Before you begin any project, always call your local One Call centre and request a locate of buried facilities in your area.

Steps to take if you come in contact with the pipeline

No matter how minor the damage may appear, if you come in contact with the pipeline you must contact Trans Mountain immediately.

NEVER COVER IT UP! Even slight damage – a gouge, a dent, a scrape – can have a big impact on the structural integrity of the pipeline. Never attempt to repair it yourself. It takes a qualified Trans Mountain technician to inspect and repair any damage.

Ground Disturber’s Responsibilities:

  • Notify the appropriate authorities immediately
  • Take reasonable measures to protect anyone in immediate danger

In the case of an emergency excavation, notify the local One Call centre to request an emergency locate.